I. Fill in the blanks with the right forms of the words given.
1. It was her hard work and great ___________ (determine) that made her what she is today.
2. A man was seriously _________ (injure) in the accident and died several days later.
3. Although you study it every day, it can take years _________ (master) a language.
4. Lucy is in a confused state of mind for her ________ (fail) to pass the examination.
5. Taking her hand in his, he swept her _________ (graceful) into dance.
Ⅱ. Complete the sentences with the correct forms of the phrases below.
at home and abroad work out come along
give up even though fall apart
learn from one's failures lose heart
1. Do not _________. You should work harder to solve the problem.
2. It is a shame that their friendship finally ________ and they became enemies.
3. ___________ we will certainly fail at times, learning from the mistakes we make will be invaluable.
4. Even in the middle of his busiest schedule, he _____ three times a week to keep fit.
5. As much as we value our successes, we need to ___________________.
6. Ping-pong has now become an international sport; it is played ________________.
7. I hope you can come to our party after the final game, and please feel free to invite a friend __________ if you like.
8. If you could choose to remember only six words in your life, remember these: "Never, ever _______. Keep trying."
1. I'm trying to improve my _________ (fit) by cycling to work.
2. The flight leaves in twenty minutes-we'll never make _________.
3. You should be setting a good example _________ your younger brother.
4. Those who are of great _________ (determinate) are likely to make great achievement.
5. Two players are out of the team because of _________ (injure).
6. She's well aware of her _________ (strong) and weaknesses as an artist.
7. She closed her eyes