It was just after sunrise on a June morning. "Nicolo，" whose real name cannot be ___41___ to the public because of Italy's privacy laws， ___42___ working the whole night at a factory in Turin. As he often did， he stopped by the "after work auction(拍卖)" ___43___ by the Italian police where things ___44___ on the trains were sold to the highest bidder. There， among many other things， Nicolo spotted two paintings he thought would look ___45___above his dining room table. Nicolo and another bidder ___46___ until Nicolo finally won the paintings for $32.
When Nicolo retired and went to live in Sicily， he ___47___ the paintings with him. He hung them above the same table he had ___48___ from Turin. His son， age 15， who had ___49___ an art appreciation class， thought that there was something ____50____ about the one with a young girl sitting on a garden chair. It was signed(签名) "Bonnato" or so he thought， but when he ____51____ it， he only found "Bonnard，" a French ____52____ he had never heard of. He bought a book and was ____53____ to find a picture of the artist Pierre Bonnard sitting on the same chair in the same ____54____ as his father's painting.
"That's the garden in our picture，"Nicolo's son told his father. They ____55____ learned that the painting they ____56____was called "The Girl with Two Chairs." They ____57____ the other painting and learned that it was ____58____ Paul Gauguin's "Still Life of Fruit on a Table with a Small Dog." The ____59____ called the Italian Culture Ministry； the official confirmed that the paintings were ____60____ and worth as much as $50 million.
41. A. attachedB. allocatedC. exposedD. submitted
42. A. finishedB. delayedC. consideredD. tried
43. A. attendedB. reservedC. cancelledD. run
44. A. shownB. foundC. keptD. hidden
45. A. niceB. familiarC. usefulD. real
46. A. battledB. debatedC. discussedD. bargain
47. A. heldB. leftC. registeredD. brought
48. A. chosenB. receivedC. orderedD. moved
49. A. missedB. failedC. takenD. led
50. A. concreteB. unusualC. unappealingD. natual
51. A. appreciatedB. touchedC. researchedD. witnessed
52. A. painterB. designerC. authorD. actor
53. A. expectedB. surprisedC. anxiousD. ready
54. A. roomB. kitchenC. hallD. garden
55. A. apparentlyB. confidentlyC. eventuallyD. temporarily
56. A. ownedB. borrowedC. soldD. stole
57. A. collectedB. cleanedC. framedD. studied
58. A. suitablyB. actuallyC. rightlyD. specifically
59. A. girlB. artistC. familyD. police
60. A. copiesB. originalsC. modelsD. presents
Molai grew up in a tiny village in India. The village lay near some wetlands which became his second_____21_____. He learned the value and beauty of ____22____ there from a very young age.
When he was 16， Molai began to notice something ____23____ happening around his home. A flood had hit the area earlier that year and the ____24____ it caused had driven away a number of birds. ____25____， the number of snakes had declined as well. He ____26____ that it was because there weren't enough trees to protect them from the ____27____. The solution， of course， was to plant trees so the animals could seek ____28____ during the daytime. He turned to the ____29____ department for help but was told that nothing would grow there. However， Molai went looking on his own and _____30_____a nearby island where he began to plant trees.
____31____ young plants in the dry season was ______32______for a lone boy. Molai built at the _____33_____ of each sapling(幼树)a bamboo platform， where he placed earthen pots with small holes to______34______ rainwater. The water would then drip(滴落)on the plants below.
Molai _____35_____ to plant trees for the next 37 years. His efforts have resulted in 1，360 acres of naturally-grown land that has become home to many plants and animals.
21. A. dreamB. jobC. homeD. choice
22. A. natureB. youthC. cultureD. knowledge
23. A. preciousB. interestingC. disturbingD. awkward
24. A. wasteB. tensionC. painD. damage
25. A. BesidesB. HoweverC. ThereforeD. Otherwise
26. A. agreedB. realizedC. rememberedD. predicted
27. A. noiseB. heatC. diseaseD. dust
28. A. directionsB. partnersC. helpD. shelter
29. A. laborB. policeC. forestD. finance
30. A. rebuiltB. discoveredC. leftD. managed
31. A. DecoratingB. ObservingC. WateringD. Guarding
32. A. toughB. illegalC. fantasticD. beneficial
33. A. backB. topC. footD. side
34. A. cool downB. keep offC. purifyD. collect
35. A. returnedB. learnedC. failedD. continued
I've been farming sheep on a hillside for 54 years. I use a small tractor to get about. My dog Don always sits beside me in the passenger scat.
One morning I ___36___ a lost lamb when I was in the top field，near where a motorway cuts through my land